Monday, March 13, 2006

Should We Stay or Should We Go- Installment # 1?


Should we stay or should we go? That is the question. Should we leave the Missouri-Synod or should we stay and attempt to turn things around? After about 6 months at my first parish in Hood River, I was ready to leave. I was fed up and held out little hope for our Synod. Today, I am not so sure that we can't win the battle. Yes, our Synod is in trouble. Yes, our Lutheran identity is in serious jeopardy. Yes, it will be along hall. Yes, it would be easier to start over. But, I believe that in time, things will turn around. Many questions have to be answered. Do we still want a synod? Is a synod still even a possibility today? Would local synods be better? As time permits, I hope to answer these and other questions. Feel free to leave your opinion. For now, I leave you with this: Our Synod is very sick, but there is a cure- the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "Be faithful unto death, I will give you the crown of life."

4 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

At this point I think one should stay until one is kicked out.

I visit a lot of churches on my business trips, and I use the lcms.org website to find such. I then look at the church's website to make sure things aren't completely whack. The Synodical affiliation is a useful first cut at what church I visit on a business trip.

Continue to teach and preach. There are still knees which have not bowed to Baal. :)

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need to argue with you guys. I'm plenty busy arguing with myself.
Here's a quiz. The LCMS
(a) has a big leak
(b) is dead in the water and listing badly
(c) is in a Poseidon Adventure situation but still not everyone's convinced it's time to get off
(d) is already at the bottom of the sea.
Perhaps we should do this CGM style and take a poll.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I travel a lot also.
I used to look at the lcms.org website and the Lutheran Annual when travelling. As of late, that's resulted in far too many ambushes by ugly, unappetizing non-Lutheran surprises.
I now make my first searches using
http://www.lutheranliturgy.org/
Then, if I'm out of the country, I might try:
http://www.elca.org/companionsynod/partners.html
Yep. It's an ELCA website. However, it lists many other church bodies that are not LWF related.
Finally, it's time to get educated on how Noah and his family worshipped without other congregational structure...

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another good filter after going through the lcms.org website, is
http://www.jesusfirst.net/endorsements.htm
and
http://www.willowcreek.com/wca_info/find_a_church/ProfileSearch.asp
If your church of interest is somehow on either of these lists, it's time to run & stay clear. These are entities (essentially a lodge and a manipulative cult) with which LCMS people should have nothing to do but do anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home